Sunday, April 7, 2013

BOOK REVIEW ; THE JANE AUSTEN BOOK CLUB

Title : The Jane Austen Book Club
Author : Karen Joy Fowler

Naturally, when my books arrived last Thursday, I picked this one up first. I'm a real Austenian, no one will expect less. Yet being an avid reader of Austen and its parodies has its downside, you tend to expect a lot and put high standards. Which has been disappointed by this rendition by Fowler, even if it is a NYT bestseller. The book was just about a bunch of Austenians (like me!) having a book club discussing Austen, and how Austen is linked to their lives in general. I was expecting a plot like that to go on the lines of a romantic, humorous yet ironic, and none of that really applies to this book. Attempts, yes, yet none had made me slightly tipsy and put me into a book hangover. Really, the best thing about it was the comments made about Austen by other authors at the very end of the book.

Good thing for those who doesn't read Austen is there is a condensed summary of every Austen novels in this book. "Cliffnotes" free.

Urgh. I need a darcy parody. Like now.

Rating : 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

thoughts?