Thursday, March 28, 2013

BOOK REVIEW ; FAHRENHEIT 451

Title : Fahrenheit 451
Author : Ray Bradbury

Phew. An eye-opener. Really. First I was skeptic when the book was listed as sci-fi. Gave it a try when Lina borrowed it to me. And I'm truly grateful as in some ways, it fuels my passion of buying books. Yeah it was a soft whisper, telling me " It is alright to buy books. In fact, go on ebay now and browse through jkricci2's store." THERE. My secret out. 

Ray Bradbury wrote this with the thought of future, and what it beholds for humans. The story evolves around Guy Montag, a fireman in the future who works to start fires. Fires to burn books, burning the sense of competition among people in a way to eliminate sadness and despair. Technology went so far to create 'futuristic' stuff, such as radios in the ears, walls that act as TVs, robots as killers, etc. Montag met Clarisse, and he starts to question life around him, and his work. I'll put in some excerpts that I think is interesting, to fuel your curiosity and imagination.

And thanks for including the fact that the Mechanical Hound was modeled after the Hound of Baskervilles! 

"If they give you ruled paper, write the other way." - a quote at the beginning of the book.

"Have you seen the two hundred-foot-long billboards in the country beyond town?Did you know that once billboards were only twenty feet long? But cars start rushing by so quickly they had to stretch the advertising out so that it would last." - Fahrenheit 451

"The word 'intellectual' of course, became the swear word it deserved to be." - Fahrenheit 451

"As you can see, I am madness maddened when it comes to books, writers, and the great granary silos where their wits are stored." - Ray Bradbury

"I ate them like salad, books were my sandwich for lunch, my tiffin and dinner and my midnight munch." - Ray Bradbury

""There I strolled, lost in love,down the corridors, and through the stacks, touching books, pulling volumes out, turning pages, thrusting volumes back, drowning in all the good stuffs that are the essence of libraries. What a place, don't you agree, to write a novel about burning books in the Future!" - Ray Bradbury

Irony, Bradbury, for writing about burning books in a book. Hats down.

Rating : 10/10. (take time to read it. digest)

2 comments:

  1. Burning books and intellectualism on the run. These gonna happen if popular culture is valued above all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MUST.NOT.GO.ONLINE.EVERY.20.MINUTES.URGH.

    ReplyDelete

thoughts?