Tuesday, April 8, 2014

BOOK TO MOVIE ; CASE HISTORIES

It was an enigma to me actually while I was reading Atkinson's book. Crime fiction? Really?

But I laughed it off thinking it absurd. Surely Professor Dienst knows better.

Yet, little that I know, he did asked us the same question in class today? What does the crimes in this book mean? What purpose does it serve, really?

Enough of class material.

I was intrigued by the "feel" that I got from the book, that I decided to watch the BBC series. Since Case Histories is part of a series featuring Jackson Brodie as the main character, I had watched the first 2 episodes that corresponds to this book.

All along I was telling myself, " This is so gonna be Jodi Picoult-like."

I was right.

Both episodes hung loosely onto the book, changing tiny facts to the case which bothered me as stories like this depend on the small bits to push it through. The obvious stuff is still there, and Brodie was all you can ask for on screen. He had that appeal in himself that he acted more like a confidante rather than the normal private eye we usually encounter, making you feel that the cases were never meant to be solved in the first place.

Amelia and Julia fared better on screen compared to the book, but Laura was a little bit plain.

Lily Rose was Lily Rose. Theo wasn't that gigantic though.

Overall, I would not say it is a remarkable rendering of the novel, but worth to watch, nonetheless. Especially if you want to see how things flush out using graphics rather than an over-active imagination.

The part where Olivia's killer did the deed was funny or absurd, depending on your level of seriousness. It was dramatic and garish (at least it was for me). It serves the purpose of fleshing out the reasons behind the killing but I felt that the producer took too much liberty on that one.

Oh well. Brodie is Lucius and how can Lucius be so yummy.

Help me wrap that thought into my brain folds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thoughts?